wiring loom / ecu

Problem with the Blackbird ?
Then check into the out patients for advice and diagnostics from our very ownteam of Super-Blackbird technical guru's & members alike!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

wiring loom / ecu

Postby deanorc51 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:46 pm

read this on here

’99 – ’00 CBR1100XX Super Blackbirds so far seem to be the only ones affected. This problem affected our very own Wobbs (IXXRA Crew member) who posted on our forum at the time:

As you will be aware the 99 model is almost 5 years old. There was a fault with the wiring harness. So to all those with a 99 model you can check to see if yours is on its way out, as once it is past its 5 years you cannot have the wiring harness changed under the extended warranty, you will have to pay for it. Around £500 + Labour. How, what, where? Well here's a picture.
The yellow area is where the culprit is, its a "Jumper block" (blue or green), sorry can't remember.
Approx 2" long by 1" wide by 1" depth.

well I sat on a 2001 blackbird last weekend that had just come back from the dealers that very day with a bill for £1500 for an ecu & loom rot replacement (or repair, can't remember which). so does this mean its an age related problem and not restricted to the years specified above? if so, are there any preventative measures I can take on my 53 plate one? if answered definitively elsewhere on here, could someone post a link please? :-)
"I told you once" (john cleese, python 'argument' sketch)
deanorc51
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Re: wiring loom / ecu

Postby aj » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:41 pm

deanorc51 wrote:well I sat on a 2001 blackbird last weekend that had just come back from the dealers that very day with a bill for £1500 for an ecu & loom rot replacement (or repair, can't remember which). so does this mean its an age related problem and not restricted to the years specified above? if so, are there any preventative measures I can take on my 53 plate one? if answered definitively elsewhere on here, could someone post a link please? :-)

kinbell.... :P .. just keep my electrickery bits soaked in wd40 and acf50 int winter... fresh dose after every wash lol

mind you... i don't know any better :oops) ... someone will be along soon that does :notworthy)

regards :wink)
aj

remember... i know nuffin about everything so don't believe a word i say
aj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby MaXX2 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:55 pm

Deano- There are two links on the IXXRA main site, both of which are dead (probly when we upgraded the site :-? ) One of the links is to a write up by Bezzer and unless i got confused, it's a Haynes manual equalling description of how to repair the fault permanently, complete with photo's.

I've PM'd Wobbs for ya (and everyone else) and hopefully, he'll be able to re-connect the links :wink) :mrgreen:
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby deanorc51 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:12 am

thanks maxx 8)
deanorc51
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby wobbs » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:52 pm

Here ya go
http://ixxra.co.uk/v-web/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2816

Also his pictures don't work anymore but he also posted it here
I clicked on the pictures but it took me to a login screen

http://www.cbrxx.com/honda-cbr-xx-resource-center/377-1999-2000-honda-cbr-1100xx-fi-light-fix.html

also here better pictures but this is for the USA version of the balckbird

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=39046&hl=wire+loom+fix
Wobbs
wobbs
Site Admin

Postby MaXX2 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:05 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: Cheers Wobbs :mrgreen:

Deano- have a look through those- a blind man with a headache and one arm could repair that fault now. If he kept is finger in his ear, it's only take him 3 minutes longer :mrgreen:

Just kiddin' - Any probs, post 'em up m8 :wink) :mrgreen:
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby deanorc51 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:35 pm

thankyou, very pleased to read those! makes it difficult to believe some peeps would still fork out £1500 for a dealer fix instead of a couple of hours DIY screwy
BTW I used to be a blind man, for about 17 years actually - no, really I was :wink)
deanorc51
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Tigger » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:27 pm

MaXX2 wrote::clap: :clap: :clap: Cheers Wobbs :mrgreen:

Deano- have a look through those- a blind man with a headache and one arm could repair that fault now. If he kept is finger in his ear, it's only take him 3 minutes longer :mrgreen:

Just kiddin' - Any probs, post 'em up m8 :wink) :mrgreen:

yes cheers wobbs, maxx2, know many of those blokes? :wink)

My boing is back .... :P
devil
Tigger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to The Out Patients