FI Loom Problem - The Fix

Problem with the Blackbird ?
Then check into the out patients for advice and diagnostics from our very ownteam of Super-Blackbird technical guru's & members alike!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Postby STELLA KING » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:27 pm

Cheers Gizzit, do i need to get in touch with Honda then,or just tell my dealer :?
STELLA KING
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby Gizzit » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:35 pm

STELLA KING wrote:Cheers Gizzit, do i need to get in touch with Honda then,or just tell my dealer :?

Should just go through the dealer in the normal way. Worth making sure they understand the arrangement first though.
Can't catch me ................... Image
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Valentino » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:24 pm

Valentino wrote:
luckily it should be wet on Sunday

Gizzit moaned:
Glad someones fookin happy about it

I was very happy - the light stayed off!!! :) 90+ very wet miles
Thanks again Bezzer and Wobbs - my IOU is in the post :roll)
Valentino
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby STELLA KING » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:32 am

Thanks Gizzit i'll let you know how i get on :thumbsup)
STELLA KING
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby Chrixx » Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:06 am

Uh, oh, :oops) :oops) , I got caught out on friday during a short 150 mile ride out with a group of 6 other reprobates.
As I said earlier, I did check the Jumper Block and just freshened it up a bit as it was not too bad.
As I got near the furthest point away, the FI light started giving a dull blink that was in time with the direction indicators, then it would flash with the application of the brakes, soon it was on all the time, Turning off the headlamp eased the situation. There was no faultering or bad running of the engine.

Back home I whipped off the seat and the rear cowl. Stripped off the tape and examined the Block. There was a little bit of corrosion visible.
I decided to clean it up better and follow Bezzers good advice to re-locate it higher.

I removed the positive side 30A fuse block and discovered a lot more corrosion on the fuse itself, the terminals and the four-blade connector block.

Way back when I bought the bike, it had a defective battery which had been over filled and leaked badly. The mess of fumes in the battery compartment and around had caused a few bits to become white and furry.

A good clean up and some silicone protection has restored everything back to normal.
** Too young to be a Sugar Daddy - - - Too old to be a Toy Boy**
Chrixx
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby bezzer » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:47 pm

Editted it now at the beginning to add the hardwiring, the clean up lasted almost three months and it went again :banghead) so connector now cut off and hardwired. :mrgreen:
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

HISS Problem

Postby ddracer » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:07 am

This fix also worked for me. I was having a problem with the HISS cutting in intermitantly eventually leaving me stranded on the A500 heading back to suffolk. I didnt bother trying to clean up the plug just cut it off and soldered it. Not had any problems since.

DD
ddracer
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby duncan » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:30 am

me neither :mrgreen:
duncan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Akuji » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:42 pm

checked mine last week - found three of the terminals a bit green and all the rest still shiney, so i thought it's gonna go sooner or later. So i cut the plug off and got the soldering iron out. All is fine but it was anyway - be prepared as the scouts say - dib dib dib :D :D
I've Got Mad Cow, What's Your Excuse??......Denny Crane
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby TimothyPilgrim » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:20 am

(my first post)

I bought my 99 xx at, whenelse? Xmas 2005. :santa)

I've been having the FI light problem too. I heard that the Power Commander II was a potential source, and when I started losing power as the light came on, I removed the PCII at the roadside. The light kept going on afterwards, but with no power loss. Today, I just removed some farkles that the previous owner installed, thinking that his wiring wasn't up to snuff and causing the light to blink, but a quick ride around the block on a now-stock bike showed the light coming on again.

Looks like I've got to look into this loom thing, and quick. I've hitting the road for a trip in 4 days! Thanks for posting those pix Bezzer, they'll help me lots.

Tim
Canada's First Motorcycle Podcast
http://twistedwrist.blogspot.com

TimothyPilgrim
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby Deano » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:01 am

Had some problems with mine too. Did the Bezzer fix and all is well.

Takes a little while and seems scarey at first but really is easy if you follow the instructions.

Thanks Bezzer.

Deano
On the path to "Old and Wise" you must first be "Young and Foolish"
Deano
IXXRA Founder

Postby barsteward » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:51 am

Deano wrote:Had some problems with mine too. Did the Bezzer fix and all is well.

Takes a little while and seems scarey at first but really is easy if you follow the instructions.

Thanks Bezzer.

Deano

Fancy coming down and doing mine Deno :wink)
barsteward
Q.O.T.W. Moderator
Q.O.T.W. Moderator

Location: Ex of Rainy Todmorden Where???? now just as rainy Walsden

Postby TimothyPilgrim » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:28 am

Well I did it, just like in the photos. Not the hardwiring, but I opened up all the electrical contacts and cleaned them out using a toothbrush, contact cleaner and sandpaper. I found a little bit of corrosion in the infamous loom connector, but I found more in other connections, including the main 30 A fuse. I used silicone spray to seal up the loom connector, retaped it and zip-tied it to the frame. But I had to use blue zip ties to match the bike! :)

I've taken it out for a couple runs and the FI light hasn't even so much as flickered, so I look to be in good standing. I head out on my trip tomorrow, so fingers cross all will be well.

Tim
Canada's First Motorcycle Podcast
http://twistedwrist.blogspot.com

TimothyPilgrim
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby Tim » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:17 pm

TimothyPilgrim wrote:Well I did it, just like in the photos. Not the hardwiring, but I opened up all the electrical contacts and cleaned them out using a toothbrush, contact cleaner and sandpaper. I found a little bit of corrosion in the infamous loom connector, but I found more in other connections, including the main 30 A fuse. I used silicone spray to seal up the loom connector, retaped it and zip-tied it to the frame. But I had to use blue zip ties to match the bike! :)

I've taken it out for a couple runs and the FI light hasn't even so much as flickered, so I look to be in good standing. I head out on my trip tomorrow, so fingers cross all will be well.

Tim

:clap: :clap: good result Tim :wink)
Tim
Site Admin

Postby MarcusBrunberg » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:51 am

It would seem that my -00 Blackbird also suffers from this (dimly glowing FI-light, no brake light with front brake & all the usual weirdness).

I had it in for a standard service, and the mechanic said the loom connector basically fell apart in his hands due to corrosion when I asked him to check this. The official finnish Honda importer took and absolutely firm stand on this and said they will not cover it anymore as it is now 2006 and more than 5 years have passed.

I will NOT pay 540 euros for the bl**dy connector so looks like soldering time...

Apparently its not the importer, but rather the Honda factory that has this "no exceptions" -policy regarding the 5 year extended warranty. Just as a FYI incase someone else also encounters this with their 99-00 XX from now on.

I still have to talk with the seller ( a small bike dealer, not private person), as they also gave their own warranty for the bike. Not all hope is lost yet. (I just traded in my old VTR1000F for this a month ago.)
MarcusBrunberg
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby Tigger » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:03 am

my FI lights missing, lucky eh? :mrgreen:

My boing is back .... :P
devil
Tigger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Deano » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:33 am

Real lucky Tiggs - untill the engine cuts out for a split second on a bend - we all know what that can do :banghead)

Barsteward. If ya want the loom hard wired - it's gonna have to be a "you come to me" arrangement. PM me if ya want help.

Deano
On the path to "Old and Wise" you must first be "Young and Foolish"
Deano
IXXRA Founder

Postby morvinson » Wed May 16, 2007 9:38 am

The connector problem is still here. :D 2005 xx 24500 miles on the clock just out of warranty :( the first indication of rot was a lead just fell off the back of the ignition switch :-? result total electrical failure :twisted)
Then this last weekend a no start situation on a run out to Scarborough. this looked like a problem with feed to the fuel pump (see my post re dead fuel pump)
But the final cure was "The Connector" cut off and hard wired as you suggest. However this connector is differant to the earlier models it now only has 10 wires and these are all connected together. i suppose that makes the job easier. Wonder what they have done with the other 3 groups of 3 wires? are we going to have fun trying to find this potential source of disaster.
This change of connector means Honda must be aware and acknowledge there is a problem, hence the first instance of extending the warranty. Do Honda accept responsability for any accident due to sudden power failure? I am at the TT soon, when i go for run over the mountain can i be sure this problem wont come back!!! :(
morvinson
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby duncan » Wed May 16, 2007 7:37 pm

had my connector removed and hard wired (cheers mick)
never had any problems since
:mrgreen:
duncan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Blue Hawk » Wed May 23, 2007 8:20 pm

A big :clap: :clap: to bezzer then and everyone re this leccy loom fault. My indicators packed up, as the first sign on my 00 xx . So after the 2nd attempt [with the green rot on the connector & main 30A fuse & one earth point on the frame] i had it removed & hard-wired.

Funny thing, riding it today - hard :naughty( :naughty( for the first time in about 2 weeks - it feels different, in a nice way :-) So-o-o Sm-o-o-o-th :D :D Cant explain it, but its now like velvet - or "riding on cream" as someone said to me about their own xx recently; now i know what he means :-)

I'll report back if it returns!!
Blue Hawk
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Re: 99-00 Loom Problem - A fix??

Postby MaXX2 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:34 pm

Whoever dug up and made this sticky--- :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: to ya :mrgreen:
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Chrixx » Thu May 13, 2010 8:32 am

Agreed. :) :)

Woke me up and caused me to think again. Been rather inactive for too long a time although still have the '99 xx in Saudi Arabia.

On the last run out, the FI light did start to glow a few times but difficult to catch the eye in strong sunlight.

I suspect that I may have to resort to the permanent fix using a melted lead/tin alloy, when time permits.
** Too young to be a Sugar Daddy - - - Too old to be a Toy Boy**
Chrixx
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby dirk.diggler » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:46 pm

Whats happened to the pix on this thread?.......need to know what to look out for on me 00 Bird
Ta
Dirk
I KNOW ferking KARATE
dirk.diggler
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Re: FI Loom Problem - The Fix

Postby bezzer » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:53 pm

The pics are back on and now sorted dude
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member